Sunday, March 31, 2013

It takes a village to raise a child



Although growing up in the village was certainly tough, as children we certainly had our fun. At times I am amazed that I am still alive when I think of the crazy, bold things that we did for "fun". I am often telling my boyfriend of some of the things we thought up when we were bored and he always says that explains why I am the way that I am.
Some days, I watch people's children playing outside here in the big city and I feel sorry for them. They are limited in what they can do and where they can go. In my home town our "backyard" was endless. We were free to come and go as we pleased. We could play where ever we chose. We did not need constant supervision. The town being so small everyone watched everyone Else's children. With spring fast approaching I was reminiscing on a game we played as children, that scares the daylights out of me to think about now. We had a game called "ice hopping".
Our village lays right alongside a wide river. During the spring, the ice breaks apart and flows right through the village. It flows FAST!! My brother's and I were not allowed near the river, but that never stopped us. (Although my brother told on me every time he got mad at me.) This game of ice hopping I suppose is in a way comparable to "chicken". This game consisted of a group of kids that would hop across the moving ice, from ice chunk to ice chunk seeing how far we could go. I look back on that game and shake my head in disbelief. But man, what fun we had doing this! The adrenaline rush, the excitement. The sound of the ice moving across the Yukon river is indescribable. The smell of spring in the air. I know that capturing the moment of it in writing is impossible. This is an experience one would have to do and see to fully understand the game of "ice hopping".

21 comments:

  1. people in the big village try this in the inlet too.. they usually end up having to get rescued.. and I'm sure it costs them many PFD's

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitly a crazy scary game! I once watched a dog get smashed between two chunks of ice after following its owner onto the ice. That was the end of my ice hopping days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eskimos are sooooo crazy! why would you even do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eskimos are crazy?! Don't get me started on non-eskimos.

      Delete
    2. Because we are awesome like that!

      Delete
  4. I think of my childhood in the same way! When I tell my husband stories of growing up in Alaska, we shake our heads and say, "Can you imagine if we allowed our kids to do that?" We would be thrown on jail for neglect and endangerment! Our generation was much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please share one of your more favorite memories! I would love to read of them! Being a child in Alaska was in some ways the absolute best!

      Delete
  5. its probly all the gas huffing they do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it was just done for fun=) I didn't see the huffers do it=)

      Delete
  6. ^^^ You sound so ignorant! I put my whole pfd on gas huffing being taught by non-natives! They didn't even have gas until we showed up! I'm willing to bet you think tipping cows makes us better?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember playing "tag" on the water pipes. We would run and jump from pipe to pipe. I did this at the age of 6 on pipes that were about 6 feet off the ground or higher. I learned from my older brother and sister and mastered this skill so we never, ever fell. We had such focus and I think it was because we knew back then if we did fall and got hurt, we would be in big trouble by our parents! Lol. I would never allow my children today to do this as there is a very big risk of falling and times certainly have changed. Rules and regulations/laws would never allow our kids to do such a thing today-it's too dangerous and a high possibility they would fall and break a bone or get badly hurt. My kids would probably never think of doing this kind of thing today as well because they grew up in a different world than us. I enjoyed my childhood but we sure did some risky things! But hey, we're still alive and smarter because we survived!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy, I was just talking to my boyfriend the other day of playing "tag" on the huge oil drums behind the A.C. store. There was a little space between them so you better be super careful not to fall in between. We would jump from tank to tank and one day my younger brother who was still in diapers tried to jump too, and he fell between the tanks. His body slipped through but he got caught by his big old head. We could not reach him to get him out and had to get help from an adult. I look back on it and think of how lucky we are that his neck didn't snap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds cracy but as kids you don't really think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought this (because of the title) was going to talk more about how it takes help from everyone in the village to raise a child. Then again reading the stories brought back so many memories! I never did the ice hopping thing (my momma would have killed me!) but I did hang out at the bluff near the cliffs, played in a bear den while the bear was out for a stroll (didn't know it was a bear den), hopped from rock to rock while egg hunting the list goes on. I wish my kids could have the "village playground" experience that I had but I don't want my kids growing up around the craziness that is taking over the village I grew up in. I miss the feeling of the community watching over each other. I miss how it took a village to raise a child but in the sense that adults looked out for all the kids and parents saw this as help and didn't take it personally if you told them that their kid was acting up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. one of my favorite childhood past times was to climb trees!! out here in western alaska, trees don't grow more than a foot wide in our area!! climbing the ones i thought could hold my weight to see how high i could go before it begins to bend or break!! many times i was able to climb high enough to stand on top of my mom n dad's smoke house, or even higher!! it was always my favorite place to be when we played hide and seek....oh the memories are endless!! we'd even scale the alakanuk high school decks to see who was the fastest climber!! and these were like 25-30 feet high or so....not sure about that, but as a child, it was HIGH!! fun fun times!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to meeting you on Monday at the airport in Anchorage. Sandy Lee

    ReplyDelete

We at TheModerNative encourage you to voice your opinion. Thank you for sharing!